Face #3: Grace Randolph

     One month later, we meet again. How have things been? I hope they've been good, calm, and peaceful. I, on the other hand, as the stereotypical senior that I am, have pushed all of my work until the last moment and am now completely drowning in it.
     But that's not why we'eve gathered here today! I'd like to discuss my video conference with a very popular (and a little controversial) movie critic: Grace Randolph-aka. Beyond the Trailer. Over the past month, I've been doing some research over her and what she's done over her career, and I'm happy to say that I am a frequent visitor to her YouTube page (I'll leave a link below just in case you're interested.). Her videos, for whatever reason, are incredibly interesting, and her commentary really opened my eyes to how I
 had previously viewed certain movies. I like to call myself a very low-key movie critic, and so being able to watch her videos and learn how other critics can formulate their opinions. Well, the research didn't stop there, and after some internet digging, I was able to discover that she was also a comic book writer for none other than Marvel Comics. To say that I am a Marvel fan would be an understatement, but that is too long of a story to tell. I was really interested, however, on her take of superheroes that I haven't really been shown a whole lot, one of them being She-Hulk. As I was writing the questions for our conference, the news that Marvel Studios had plans to make a She-Hulk show popped up in my head immediately and I knew I had to ask how'd she feel about the characters that she had once written for being up on the big screen. (She answered that the source material may not even be from her comics, was a bit disappointing, considering how revolutionary they were in term of design of the character, which is another thing I will not go into because the tangent would last a lifetime). Let's just say, I was totally prepared for the conference.
     It went way better and way faster than I had expected. I learned so much in the little time that we spoke, but it was enough to stick with me for the rest of the month. She was amazingly nice and I'd like to say she appreciated my questions-maybe that's a bit arrogant, though. Anyway, the conference was filled with questions, both serious and comedic, and I really think the whole class had a great time discussing her life and profession with her. I really do enjoy analyzing film, and discovering that I can do what I love for money was a beautiful epiphany 8th grade me had. But to see how that world functioned from someone who goes through it at that multitude is life-changing. It helped me get an inside look into the world that I had fantasized about since I was an angsty teenager. It was just a beautiful experience that I was genuinely excited for, and I'm really glad we got to talk to her.

Until next time,
Your Narrator

Comments