Midterm Assignment

Note: I don't know if anyone outside of my class reads this, but if you do, just know the assignment was to conduct an interview. Thank you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: Hi everyone, and welcome to a very special project that I've been working on for the past week. It has just come to my attention that the people of Puerto Rico have been rioting and pushing none other than a guillotine through the streets of the natural disaster-ridden island. So here I have the Governor of Puerto Rico to discuss what she feels about this situation, please welcome Governor  Garced.

Garced: Thank you for having me, I really feel that I need to address this situation as a whole.

Interviewer: Of course. So what is the basis of these riots?

Garced: As many know, the island suffered through severe natural disasters, as you have mentioned. Back in 2017, we had Hurricane Maria. It was a treacherous hurricane that had taken out most of the island. Along with that, we had suffered a number of hurricanes, which tore the island apart even more. And so, we asked for resources that could help get Puerto Rico back on track, however, it was a bit of a struggle to get to that point.

Interviewer: Yes, we have Ponce Mayor Maria Melendes saying how she, and we quote, "spent several days requesting cots and water. They sent [her] to Cabo Rojo for the cots and to San Juan for the water."

Garced: It was a horrible struggle. but we made it through and we are still recovering from that.

Interviewer: So what are the people rioting for?

Garced: Well, apparently, information has been released that there had been supplies that had been hidden and stored in a warehouse. The people have been threatening me and those who work for me by  rolling a guillotine outside by office.

Interviewer: Very revolutionary. Is there any comment you'd like to make about the way that the people are reacting? Is there a reason to blame you for this hiding of resources?

Garced: I would just like to make the people of Puerto Rico understand that I was also in the dark about the whole situation. I have fired three top government officials over the past weekend. Those positions are the director of emergency management and the commissioners of the housing and family departments. It's unforgivable that resources were kept in that warehouse and not given to the suffering people of the island.

Interviewer: In a report, Fernando Gil Ensenat says that you did, in fact, know about the supplies. Then, he proceeded to challenge your denial and spoke to a radio station that you and other officials had known about the resources and that it was hidden from "no one". In a translation, he is quoted saying, "It really pains me in the form and manner [that I was told to leave], because it wasn't fair for this servant." How do you react to this?

Garced: I let him go because he jeopardized federal housing aid funds. As translation of my previous statements says, "We will not permit that nothing puts at risk the federal funds assigned to Puerto Rico that meets the needs of our people." Preliminary findings of the investigation into why the aid wasn't distributed to people in need are confidential and will be further investigated by the new Attorney General.

Interviewer: I see. Thank you for your time and patience Governor Garced.

Garced: Thank you for allowing me to say my piece to the people.

Comments

Popular Posts